CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Calico Canyon


When I got Calico Canyon in the mail, my first thought was, ‘Oh that looks like a ‘cute book’. I vastly underestimated this story! A friend of mine got the chance to read the story before I was able to pick up my copy, she was bursting at the seams wanting to tell me about it! Every time I looked over at her while she was reading it, she had this goofy grin on her face and was stifling laughter. Now I know why.

Calico Canyon is likely one of the funniest books I’ve read in a long time! I’ve had a pretty busy and draining couple of months, and this story brought a much needed smile to my face and had me almost crying in laughter.

Grace Calhoun a smart and bright girl is running from an abusive past, and finds her self running a school in a tiny Texas town. Five young terrors from the same family make her life miserable, by pulling the sort of pranks teachers have nightmares about. It doesn’t help their father, Daniel Reeves, seems to be a dull witted gruff man, who obviously doesn’t like her. He seems to think his five boys can do no wrong, and she just has a mean heart, and picks on them.

When a turn of events lands her running from her abusive past yet again, Grace finds herself married… to Daniel. It all happened purely by accident (I am serious! It was accidental!). Stuck in wilderness with six men who do not want her there Grace has to remember what it’s like to be brave, and that God is always faithful. It doesn’t help her new husband avoids her as if she were a plague, and the boys torment her at every turn. The rowdy and loud family, are constantly giving her headaches, just from the sheer noise of them all. Then Grace begins to see how, in all her running, God’s hand was always on her, and always directing her path. Truly, we plan our path, but God directs our steps. Grace learns just how true that is in her life, and prays she can show the six Reeves men.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So here is the deal, I’ve got a Q&A with Mary Connealy, author of this great story, at the end there will be a contest for a free copy! Be sure to read through so you know how you can win!


Char: Where did this story come from?
Mary: My husband is from a family of seven sons. His mom, Marybelle, is one of my favorite people on this planet and listening to her talk is both hilarious and terrifying. The woman was lucky to survive raising those boys. And she survived brilliantly. She’s eighty-nine now.
This woman is tough! She’s also smart and she has this wonderful sense of humor and she has a great knack for not sweating the small stuff.
She tells stories of pure mayhem. I don’t know how all little boys act but she was always breaking up fist fights and rushing to the doctor with broken bones and cuts that need stitches. They lived on a farm and…if she could possibly arrange it…they ran wild outside.
I got so much of what’s in Calico Canyon from Marybelle that I dedicated the book to her.


Char: I notice this is part of the lassoed in Texas series, why Texas? What do you like so much about Texas?
Mary: You know, Texas is just to utterly western that I have to stop myself from setting all my books in Texas, so Texas was easy.


Char: Your bio says you have four girls, was it hard to write the personalities and interactions between five little boys, compared to having had four girls around you all the time?
Mary: It was a serious challenge, not so much to write boys as to try and make so many little boys, whose looks were identical (except for the twins being older) be individuals.
You know the scene where Grace tells the boys how she tells them apart? As she runs down their differences, at the end of that, she glares, good naturedly at Mark and says, I know you from the fire in your eyes.” Well, I tried to give Mark that fire through the whole book. He was the most developed of the five but all the boys were real to me and I focused on having every word they said, within this parameter where they all acted so, so much alike, to be faithful to those differences.
I got the idea for Luke the so-tough-he’s-scary youngest from ‘The Best Christmas Pageant Ever’ if you’ve seen that and remember Gladys Herdman, she was the youngest and the meanest of them all.
And I liked the idea that the oldest would SEEMED to be the leader but he was very subtly taking orders from a stronger personality than his own.
Throw in Ike, the animal lover and the ‘good one’ John and I had the whole set.


Char: Who was your favorite of the Reeves boys? Mine would be John, because he reminds me of one of my brothers.
Mary: I think I secretly liked John best, too. But Mark was definitely the most fun to write. And I got to do so much with my characters through Mark, Daniel realizing he needed to be kinder to Grace so his boy wouldn’t grow up warped. Grace realizing she loved a little boy who was such a handful, to me that’s the sign of a true mother, to love their children, possibly the very most, when they’re not so lovable.

Char: Tillie was a really interesting character, a runaway slave, who had remained a slave well after the law granted her, her freedom. I honestly never really heard of that happening, I think, often, people think that the end of the civil war was the end all to the slavery in the south. I never really thought about people who might not have known the war was over, if they were kept in the dark. Where did the idea for Tillie come from?
Mary: Oddly enough, the whole idea of Tillie comes from a line in Gingham Mountain. That’s book three in the series and I didn’t have Tillie in Calico Canyon at first. In Gingham Mountain, Hannah who is trying to care for orphans who live on the streets of Chicago, meets a man she thinks is mistreating orphans. The man has taken in so many children and Hannah doesn’t like it a bit. Two of Grant’s orphans are black and when Hannah says Grant has enslaved children, one of those children gets really angry and says, “You’re a mean lady to come in here and tell Pa he’s treating us bad. You don’t know what bad is if you can say such things.”
Hannah thinks to herself that she knows exactly what bad was. She’d lived it herself when she’d been in her cruel stepfather’s hands. She has lash marks of her own, and she knew you didn’t have to be black to be a slave.
So that got me thinking about slavery and wanting to draw the distinction between slavery and other kinds of abusive treatment, but my book was set to long after the Civil War to have someone newly freed, until I started researching it and I came up with these amazing stories of black people who hadn’t been set free after the Civil War, just hidden.
So along comes the idea of Tillie.

Char: Did you ever have a time when writing this book you just had to stop and start laughing?
Mary: You know, Char, comedy is hard work. It really is. The scene, one of my favorites in Calico Canyon, when they get married, took so long to write.
I like a scene with too much going on, chaos, lots of characters, but it’s so hard to get it all right. To put it on the page. People talking over each other. People listening to half of one person’s sentence and then the other half of someone else and having that end up meaning something that makes them mad. I wrote that scene so many times. No rewriting the whole thing, but packing it with nonsense. Tweaking it, getting the beats right and trying to make sure that, while the characters are bickering and misunderstanding and reacting comically, the reader understands what’s going on. It takes a lot of attention and time. I love it but I always dread a scene like that because I know it’s going to be so much work.

Char: Did you learn any lesson while writing this story? Anything particular that God revealed to you?
Mary: I wrote this book not that long after my father died. I was on an airplane and I happened to think of one song we had at his funeral, Great is Thy Faithfulness. That song just helped me really focus on what I was trying to accomplish with this book. Not our faithfulness to God, which is so often where our attention lies, but God’s Faithfulness to us. Once Grace was reminded of how faithful God was to her, she could live so much more bravely for Him. And once she remembered how to be brave, her life because much simpler.

Char: You mentioned in your dedication, that your mother-in-law had raised seven boys! Is this where the inspiration came for the five Reeves boys?
Mary: Definitely. My mother-in-law can tell so many unruly little boy stories, I could fill ten books.

Char: What’s your favorite “little boy stories” that she tells?
Mary: She had the first five of her boys really fast. Then my husband and one more brother are stragglers. Of the five older boys, the youngest seems to be the one who had the most brushes with death. She heard a scream one time and ran outside and he was hanging from the eaves of her roof by his fingernails.
She heard a crash once and ran upstairs, he’d smashed through a window and was just standing there, with his head through the window, a jagged circle of the window pane surrounding him. Uncut.
Once when he was three a neighbor came pulling into her yard and lifted the boy out and brought him in…naked. The neighbor had found him walking down the road like that.
She asked the kid what he was doing and he said he was going swimming. They live ten miles from the nearest swimming pool so she has no idea what was in his head.
My mother-in-law swears she was watching him but he was just determined to keep up with his big brothers and they didn’t seem to worried about leaving him behind so that left him stuck, alone in some tight spots in his young life.

Char: Is there a favorite ‘little girl story’ you would have?
Mary: My girls are little balls of fire. They could outpace most little boys for pure energy when they were kids. One family gathering, Christmas, at my in-laws (they live about three miles from us and we farm their land) I had three girls at the time, one of Ivan’s brothers had three boys and another had two girls. All about the same age. It was a nasty, bitter cold Christmas Eve and when we got there I and the other family of girls, had brought winter clothes because we knew the kids would want to go outside and play despite the weather. The mother of the boys hadn’t brought stuff to bundle them up. They had coats and mittens but no boots, scarves, snow pants. We laughed because she thought she could control the boys but the other mom and I knew our girls would be outside so we might as well be prepared.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I could ask questions all day, but I won’t. Here’s how to win a signed copy of Calico Canyon: leave a comment on this blog, telling your favorite “little boy or little girl” story. You get bonus points if it’s funny, and bonus points if it taught you a lesson about God. And even more points it the lesson was about God’s faithfulness! You have until Sunday 11/09/08!

27 comments:

Julie Lessman said...

Charlotte and Mary -- wonderful interview! Mary is one of my favorite writers, and I absolutely LOVED Calico Canyon and also agree it is one of the funniest romances I have ever read.

Julie

Jo said...

I enjoyed the interview and it brought back a lot of memories. My husband was the oldest of 5 sons and than one half sister after that so remember a lot of the stories that we heard from my mother-in-law as well and she was only quite the fesity lady.

The one that I remember the best was we had just moved to Texas and my hubby was working for a cafeteria chain in a mall. My youngest son was 6 at the time. He actually was normally an extremely well behaved child who didn't give me any problems. This day at the mall for some reason he was determined that I was going to lose him. I ran around the mall for awhile looking for him. It seemed like forever but it was probably only about 5 minutes or so. He had me so nuts at that point that I almost walked into the mens restroom after him. This happened many many years ago long before there was such a thing as family restrooms.

Blessings,
Jo
ladijo40(at)aol(dot)com

CherryBlossomMJ said...

Hey Julie!

Charlotte thanks for hosting Mary! Mary, I love you!! I love Mary's books and she is a hoot as well. I cannot wait for Gingham Mountain! I have the first two, so no need to enter me.

But everyone! Go buy and read Mary's books!

MJ
cherryblossommj.blogspot.com

Mary Connealy said...

Hi, Julie. Thanks for stopping by.

Jo, I once went to the Nebraska State Fair with three children in tow, all girls, ages 4, 7 and 9. I met two of my sisters. One pregnant and with a three year old daughter, the other with two children, a daughter 4 and a son two.
So, get the image. six kids. One a boy.

That boy about killed us.
I mean he was LOST every three minutes all day. All the girls were sticking close and behaving pretty well, we had strollers and the younger of the girls were pretty settled into them.
But that little boy (who is now 24 years old and a perfectly nice young man) just would NOT quit running.
All three of the moms spent every ounce of their energy just keeping track of him.

Mary Connealy said...

Hi, MJ, thanks for stopping in. I haven't talked with you in a while. MJ had me on her blog too and have so many kind words for my writing. God bless you for that.

Isn't Charlotte's blog beautiful? I love the burning blue hearts. Very sharp.

Thanks for having me on, Charlotte.

Pamela J said...

Have you ever been riding in a vehicle with someone who if they looked to the side of the road, that is where the car would start veering? Keep this in mind with the story below...

We watched a wedding that had been recorded not long ago. Well, let me rephrase that: We watched a video that was taken at a wedding not long ago. Let me explain.

The wedding event happened on a beautiful summer day. The day started out with almost no breese, just the sun shining through a cloudless sky. Perfect day. The video started out showing the grounds in which the wedding was to take place: table on the side for gifts that came in, punch bowl and cake ready to serve the guests after the bride and groom shared their drink and first bite of cake. Real flowers all around the grounds with the grass mown two different times; the whole ground a few days before and early that morning the path the wedding march would take so they could see the walkway prepared to carry them between the seated guests to the minister who would perform the ceremony.

As the guests arrived, the camera man was showing each of us who now viewed the event of who had come to attend. Seems the guests arrived pretty swiftly but as more came, we noticed there were brief flashes of the new guests and the camera would stray back to the one blossoming teen-aged girl with a tight, above-knee-length skirt and low top in front. As the intended promises were shared between to-be man and wife, we realized that we were not actually seeing what was going on, but just hearing, if one were to listen, behind the quiet remarks of the camera man and a buddy standing nearby. The cameraman kept the film rolling but shifted his standing position to different angles in which to capture bits and pieces of the vows and brief preacher speech but one who watched might realize the main focus was actually past all that and on that suave being sitting amongst the attendees of the day.

We barely got a glimpse of the new man and wife as they strode back down the newly mown lawn path but the camera again swung to that pretty little thing as she stood in the greeting line before refreshments, travelling up and down her profile, pulling away and then coming back close to see more clearly. We didn't miss some of the wedding guest chatter but did miss who was talking, for the picture to see was clearly of one figure only unless others got close enough to be in by default. We could tell exactly where the person doing the video was looking by the camera following where he looked. (remember the driver of the car above?)

Does this count as little boys or little girls story? They are on their way to being adults but not there yet.

The lessons it taught me about God is that my focus needs to be in the right place. I need to be looking at Him instead of who might be attending the wedding feast with me. When my focus is wrong, I may miss the event altogether except for the brief snatches I see on the side or vague things I hear... or did I REALLY hear if I was looking in a different direction? The pretty-little-thing-of-a-developing-teen girl is one of many things God's enemy uses many time to re-direct our focus from Him to the fleshly, worldly things. Though we are in the midst of the preparation and happenings, do we actually get involved or do we just attend in our physical being but not our thoughts? At first, this story began as funny. The longer the focus didn't shift to where it should it became not funny anymore to me because I realize we each have a job to do and who are WE glorifying? The wedding party and expecially those who came to be married... or the guests?

Where is God's faithfulness in all this? He is in control of the wind and the rain. He kept the wind to a minimum so the skirt didn't do more damage to the viewers and He kept the rain away so that outfit didn't cling any tighter to the skin.

Pamela J said...

Ooops, forgot my email address:
cepjwms at yahoo dot com

Martha A. said...

Well, considering i have four sons, I am just wondering what story to tell.....my husband also is one of 7 boys with two sisters, and I have to think of a story his mother told me when his three older brothers who were 5,3 and 2 were put down for naps and she locked the door so they could not get out and went to the garden. She came in the window was open and they were gone all day! When they snuck back in when it was dark, the oldest one sobbed "Sergey made me do it! (The three year old!) What is so funny is my BIL as an adult could make anyone do what he wanted them to do to so we knew it was true!
About my own boys.....well, probably the funniest...well not at the time I think of right off is when i was babysitting my two nieces in Walmart and my own three boys at that time. My oldest niece is very dramatic and said her legs were not working so she was wilting under clothes racks, my baby decided he was hungry and would not wait one more second, so was screaming at the top of his lungs, my second niece was in the cart and the other two boys wanted to buy an unbrella so were trailing it after me and saying "can we buy the unbrella??" over and over when my niece in the cart leans over and starts to tip the cart over, i am holding the baby on one arm so cannot grab it and we all sort of fall into a pile. Screaming ensues, workers converge! No one is hurt, but baby is still hungry, boys still want an unbrella, K. still doesn't want to walk, and now the other niece is screaming! Yeah.......we survived with a few minutes of practiced breathing techniques!

Thanks Mary for a great book!
martha(at)lclink(dot)com

Pamela J said...

When my husband was almost six and his younger brother was only around two, their mother was the "operator" for the young telephone company's system. The equipment was in their living room and she was pretty much stuck to the switch board. She had told the little tykes to stay close by so she could see them but the little brother wanted to do his own thing and ran out into the sage brush about 100 yards or so and squatted down so his mommy couldn't see him. Their dog did a good job of keeping track of the boys so when their mother started yelling to the little disobedient boy, the dog just ran out into the weeds and brush and stared at him. She ran out there and whipped him all the way home. As he was being led between swats past the dog, he punched the dog on the head for giving him away.
The dog portrayed God in this story because though the boy thought he was hidden, the dog knew right where he was. God's faithfulness is that even though we sometimes blame Him for our own decisions and the consequences, He still is by our sides watching. Not necessarily allowing us to avoid the consequences of our actions.
Pam Williams
cepjwms at yahoo dot com

Mary Connealy said...

Pamela J, that's a very beautiful point about your faith and focus.

However you left out the part of the story where the bride beats the camera man to death for missing her wedding.

Mary Connealy said...

Martha, hello day-in-the-life of a busy mom.

It was the winter of 1983-84. If you say that year in Nebraska people just nod. "I remember that winter. Vicious, nasty brutal cold beast of a winter.

I had a baby born in November 1983, my third daughter.

We almost ran out of food.

Seriously, it was about a five mile drive to town adn it was so monstrously cold I just didn't leave the house. I had a five, three and newborn daughter. If I'd have had car trouble or slid off the eternally icy roads and gotten stuck, we'd have died. No way could I transport all three of them...and myself...to safety.

So one day, when I did get to town, I had my infant in the front pack, my three yo in the cart seat and my five yo running wild in the poor defenseless store. And groceries. Lord have mercy I had the cart stacked so high it was madness.
A very nice lady I know very well came up to me and smiled and said, "You must have so much fun."

Well, I almost killed her.

But I didn't have a spare hand.

Mary Connealy said...

That was a girl story.
I'm sorry. I dropped the theme. :)

Mary Connealy said...

Here's one from my mother-in-law.
Every Saturday night, back in the day, she and her husband and all their kids would go to town on Saturday night. The town movie theater would run a movie and they'd take their kids and go NEXT DOOR (remember that) to sit and visit with friends and eat coffee and pie or whatever.

So my sweet mil is sitting there, just enjoying the evening when a woman comes into the little town diner and says, "You know, I saw a little boy walking on the road, he sure looked like one of yours."
Well, ha-ha, it couldn't be. All her sons were right next door, just fine and accounted for.

But my mil was a wise woman who had learned to NEVER trust her sons. So she got in the car and drove out to look and sure enough, her about three year old son, was walking home.

He'd walked across a HIGHWAY on his little journey.

Pamela J said...

My mother in law tells a story of when my husband was just between diapers and about three years old. My father in law was working in the mines along with his father while his mother stayed home with his family. Food to eat got pretty short between pay days so as the story goes, once they had only peaches and biscuits to eat. If they got tired of those, they had biscuits and peaches. One time in particular before pay day, they only had eggs to eat. What a joyous day it was when pay day arrived! On the way to the grocery store they decided to go out to eat. As they were ordering around the table, it came time for my husband to say what he wanted. He said, "Eggs I guess."
Pam Williams
cepjwms at yahoo dot com

Edgy Inspirational Author said...

Is it just my computer or is this hard on the eyes? I see blue on black and it's hard to read.

Charlotte Schofield said...

It is blue on black... maybe i'll change the blog format... It's hard to find good blog lay outs these days.

Mary Connealy said...

I just remembered I'd never eaten my lunch.

What a joyous moment.

It's an apple. That would be virtuous if not for the mid-morning snack of Halloween candy.

Martha A. said...

Mary, I have so been there!!!

This one is probably more funny, my husband was watching the boys and I ran out for a short time, I think to mail something and came home to find the entire kitchen floor red.....no thankfully not blood, but they were ice skating, mom!! ON A WHOLE BOTTLE OF KETCHUP!!!!

Another day when I had just had enough, a knock came to the door and a nice man was there and said We have a bus and we are taking children to church, do you want us to take your children to church? I said "You will take them away from me? For the whole evening? I do not have to pay? Sure!!!

Later, I sat there and wondered if that was safe, I got his number, I knew where the church was, but I did not know them. then the scariest thought, "I wonder how long it will take me to care right now?"
Thankfully they were very safe, kind people, but that was a very hard day.....and I am glad God sent someone so nice! Thankfully those days are much fewer and farer between now!

martha(at)lclink(dot)com

Mary Connealy said...

LOL Martha???!!! You just shoved them out the door onto a bus? With strangers???

Oh, I have been so there!!! But no bus came.

My brothers-in-law, one time, were digging a hole, one with a shovel, one with a hoe. One of them, lifted the hoe above his head to give the hole a big whack and clonked the other one in the head with the hoe.

My MIL said she drove with a bleeding child to the doctor so many times the car could almost drive itself. She swears she ran non-stop trying to keep up with them and I believe her.

You know something I think is beautiful? My husband was son number six out of seven. And he was a straggler. All the others were in school. She said the seventh child was the only time she worried she might not get pregnant (she was getting older) and the only time she hoped it'd be a boy, because her little son Ivan, my husband, was lonely and she wanted him to have a brother to play with.

I think that's a nice attitude.

Anonymous said...

I would love to read this book. I definitely need a laugh or two.

Please enter me in the contest.

Thank you,

Becky C.

rec(at)hiwaay(dot)net

Charlotte Schofield said...

I remember mny dad telling me a story once. He was building a fort in a tree behind his house when he was a kid. He had to get more wood, so he hooked his hammer in a branch and climbed down. Once he got down he realized that he needed the hammer for.... something... so he shook the tree to get it down. Well down it came...

The claw part of the hammer hit the back of his head and embedded in just his skin. He ran back to the house with the hammer in his head! He ran in the house, and my grandmother passed out.

He still has feignt scars on the back of his head!

Of couse there's also the story about how he thought he was super man and jumped off the roof of the church and broke his arm. I think this was before he burnt the church down... LOL

Mary Connealy said...

Charlotte, as soon as I stop shuddering in horror at the image of your dad with a hammer embedded in your head, I'll laugh. Yikes.

Anonymous said...

Hello - This summer we had a sermon at church titled "Just Walk Across the Room" based on a book by the same name. We learned about what a difference we could make if we just "walked across the room" and started a conversation - this was then extrapolated to include people in your neighborhood that maybe you just didn't take the time to get to know. Well, my son is 4 and was in Kid's World during these sermons. One day a week or so later, a man was walking down a street near our house and he asked me why he was walking that way - I said he must be one of our neighbors so he was going home - and my son told me - "Mom, we should just go so hi.." and it really brought the sermon home!

Please enter me in your contest.

Mary Connealy said...

Hi, Kristi. That's a sweet story. A child like faith from one of the little boys we've been teasing this week.

And you know, people are people. There are all types of both boys and girls. It does seem though that little boys are just a teensy bit more apt to be super high energy.

Charlotte Schofield said...

And the winner is....... Pamela J! Congradulations! Thank you every one for participating! Please be sure to come back and check out other interesting things on my blog!

Mary Connealy said...

Pamela J, email me at mary [at] maryconnealy.com and let me know your mailing address and I'll sent the book in the mail to you.

Thank you EVERYONE for stopping by.

Mary Connealy said...

Your copy of Calico Canyon went in the mail today, Pamster.

Now it's between you and the POSTAL SERVICE.

good luck with THAT.